Friday, June 25, 2010

Football and Our New Identity!

During the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, I had the privilege of spending an entire month in Europe – travelling to various cities in Germany watching games LIVE as well as on giant screens with thousands of other fans.

Before the World Cup started, I recall having a 10 minute “discussion” with a French fan on the train to Berlin. Just that he did not speak English and I did not speak French – but we discussed the best players, the top teams and he was sure France will win!

During the Brazil-Croatia game, I was in the stadium wearing a Brazil shirt – and a bunch of Croats sitting behind me asked me if I had come from Brazil. They were surprised to know I was from India – and then even more curious to know why I was supporting Brazil. “Why don’t you support Croatia?” asked one of them and handed me a Croat scarf (I still have it at home) and a Croat noise-making balloon.

Back then, I did not have an answer for this Croat friend of mine. I still don’t. I also found it amazing to have a conversation with a French guy without knowing French. But after watching the current excitement, clearly there is something in the magic of sport that is able to make level-headed individuals do all kinds of crazy things to support a country that has *NO* connection with their own country.

Now, the 2010 FIFA World Cup – “The Biggest Show on Earth” is ON. Some fantastic games. Some not so fantastic. But there is a constant buzz in the air (almost like the vuvuzela’s buzz in the stadium) about what’s going to happen; how the Group of Death will pan out; how Spain will not choke this time and how Germans are looking ominous.

Most of these football fanatics are male. So, clearly the FIFA 2010 World Cup is not like IPL – that had the lady of the house also following the action (or was she following SRK?)

Boys - ageing from 7 years to 75 – are glued to the TV, staying up late at night, watching some great football and rooting for their teams.

Hold on! “Their” teams? These are not Football Clubs that are playing. Clubs that make their money by having more fans across the world – and selling them merchandise. These are not IPL teams that claim to represent your city or region. These are countries competing for the biggest prize of them all – and India is NOT playing (in case you had not noticed).

Why are millions of Indians rooting for Brazil? For Argentina? For Spain? For any African team?

Some say it is because of the quality of football they play. Some say it is because of the spirit they play with. Some say they are supporting the underdog.

Whatever the reason, it is interesting that we are able to completely identify with another country’s national team and support it as passionately as we would support our own.

You know what? Sometimes, reasons are not important. The fact is that this “new identity” thing happens. It is real. You can see it all around you.

If Sports has the power to give so many of us a new identity, create so much of positive energy and enthusiasm, help break barriers (notice how easy it is to talk to another guy who is also watching football?), shouldn’t we have more of it?

For the next generation, shouldn’t we “hand down” this joy, this euphoric feeling that sports gives us?

Shouldn’t we find ways to get our kids to experience the magic of sport as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment